How to make Classic Shortbread Biscuits | Easy Baking Recipes. We are strong believers in tucking into a shortbread biscuit when you fancy a sweet mid-afternoon treat, and they just don’t come any better than when they are homemade.
Easy to make, these are great for getting little hands involved and are great as a base recipe for many more extravagant adaptations - how about adding lavender or chopped fruits? Topping with whipped cream and fresh strawberries as a strawberry shortcake? The possibilities are endless.
150 g caster sugar
300 g salted butter (room temperature)
400 g plain flour
50 g cornflour
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for a fan assisted oven).
2. Add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and cream together using a wooden spoon or electric mixer until it's light, smooth and fluffy taking care to remove any large lumps of butter.
3. Gently sieve the flour and cornflour into the bowl and mix to form a dough. Use your hands to bring the mixture together before placing onto a lightly floured worktop.
4. Knead until smooth and flour a rolling pin.
5. Roll out until around 1cm thick and using a floured circular cookie cutter stamp out your biscuits.
6. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and prick each biscuit a couple of times with the prongs of a fork.
7. Place in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes until the biscuits have turned golden brown on the edges.
8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with caster sugar. Allow to cool for about ten minutes before removing to cool down entirely.
9. Tap off any excess sugar and enjoy.
Tags: How to make Classic Shortbread Biscuits | Easy Baking Recipes, procook, baking, bake, biscuits, shortbread, homemade, how to make, how to bake, recipe, easy, simple, scottish, how to, sugar, sweet